DS-82 Form for Renewal a Passport

DS 82 PASSPORT RENEWALIs it time to renew your passport? People generally don’t think about their passports until it’s time to travel overseas or to another country. If you keep your passport up to date, you will never need to worry about rushing to renew your passport. Passports are generally valid for 10 years; however, if you were issued a passport when you were 15 years of age or younger, your passport will need to be renewed every five years. In any case, to do so you must use the DS-82 Form For Renewal a Passport.

Time Required to Renewing Your Passport

During the renewal process, one of your choice is to mail in a DS-82 Form For Renewal a Passport. This option will not increase your chance of obtaining your passport in the near future since it prolongs the application process. Routine renewal takes four to six weeks. Expedited renewal takes three weeks. With an agency the expedited process takes eight business days and time is based on need. If you need faster service, you may use the expedite option which allows you to get your passport in less than two weeks, in many cases. Sometimes the expedite service can get you same day approval. That’s good to know if you have an unexpected business trip to another country or if you have a sudden chance at a dream vacation and need to get your passport fast.

Submitting Your DS-82 Form For Renewal a Passport

If you had a US passport book in the past and it was issued within the last 15 years, or your last passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older, or your passport is undamaged, and your name is the same or you have proof of your name change (original or certified government issued document or marriage certificate), then you can use DS-82 Form and mail in your renewal. Alternatively, you can also renew online. If any of these criteria are not met, you will have to apply in person. You can apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Passport Book or Passport Card?

Depending upon what travel you are doing, you may be able to save a bit of money and not get a passport book, but instead get a passport card. Passport cards are easier to carry and work at land border crossings and sea ports of entry from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. The passport card will not work for international air travel, even to these countries. Like the US passport book, these cards stay valid for 10 years.

If you are traveling by air or to other countries other than those listed above, you will need to have a passport book.

[fbcomments url="https://www.us-passport-guide.com/ds-82-form-for-renewal-a-passport/" width="100%" count="off" num="3" countmsg="Comments!"]